29 November 2012

Melonchopper Build Pt. 1: Initial assembly

The Parts Came In!

It's like Chrsitmas!

So I ordered almost all the frame materials for Melonchopper off McMaster. Two days and $320.00 later, these arrived at my place. 


Inside were all the goodies: 8020 1010 extrusions, .25" and .125" plates for waterjettng the framing materials, aluminum tube for steering column, threaded rods and ball joints for the steering, 30 four-packs of 8020 T-nuts, steering FR-10 bearings, shaft collars, and some additional tidbits. Time to start building!



First, I roughly cut the 6" rear frame cap and steering column support, both made out of 8020. I used a horizontal bandsaw for the first time, only to find out it's terribly inaccurate. 



To clean up the crappy job the horizontal bandsaw did, I faced the rough end of the extrusion on a mill. 



Already looking good! I temporarily used the steering column support 8020 as a spacer for the front bumper (They're both 6") and placed the seat roughly where it was in the CAD model to determine if my feet would reach the bumper comfortably. 

They didn't. 
As didn't other tiny aspects of Melonchopper's geometry when it came to seating a person. I'll just modify them as needed, but one thing I'm sticking with til death do we part is the steering. I spent hours tweaking the geometry to make its behavior as ideal as possible. 



Speaking of steering, let's cut the shaft down with the bandsaw, shall we?



I also cut the steering rods to the appropriate length with a hacksaw, and cleaned the edges with an abrasive grinding wheel. 



And here's one of the nifty 1/4"-28 ball joints. They have two rotational degrees of freedom and allow 70 degrees of play in each direction. 



I've done all I can do today. Off to sleep until I can waterjet things...

3 comments:

  1. The average elevation range of Seychelles is 453 m (1,483 ft). The highest point of Seychelles is Morne Seychellois, with its official height being 905 m (2,969 ft). The lowest point of Seychelles is Indian Ocean. The elevation difference between the highest (Morne Seychellois) and lowest (Indian Ocean) points of Seychelles is 905 m (2 ft). http://www.confiduss.com/en/jurisdictions/seychelles/geography/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have got a excellent weblog here! do you need to develop invite posts on my own weblog?
    먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys, this is a really good post here. Thank you for taking your valuable time to post this valuable information. Quality content is always what attracts visitors. You are so cool! Thanks for getting started.
    Here is my website. Please leave a comment on my site as well. 바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete